Why kids yoga? Why now? The reasons seem endless but I decided to write them down in a blog post for you. Children have such a natural and contagious flow to their existence. They're almost always in the moment, engaged so deeply in play. In a world that has them growing up too fast, kids yoga is fun, fluid and responsive.
Below are the evidence-informed reasons we are offering our summer 2023 Kids Yoga series. Though, underneath all the evidence (and I love a good deep dive into the research)... at Well Yoga, we are offering children a non-competitive, safe and positive environment to learn to move into new shapes, engage with different activities, innovate with other kids, learn ways to focus our minds and appreciate the moments of childhood.
Yoga is an ancient practice that has been around for thousands of years. Recently it has gained popularity in the Western world as a form of exercise and mindfulness practice. While yoga is often associated with adults, it is widely taught to children in other parts of the world. In our society it can be a beneficial practice for kids. Here’s why:
- Kids Yoga fosters physical health and fitness: Yoga is a great way for kids to stay active and develop physical fitness. For child athletes yoga improves valuable flexibility and range of motion. It helps to improve strength, balance, and coordination. By practising yoga, kids develop healthy habits that will benefit them throughout their lives.
- Kids Yoga reduces stress and anxiety: Kids today face pressure and stress in a different way than ever before. In our society, especially post pandemic, we have seen an alarming increase in childhood anxiety and other mental health struggles. Yoga is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety by promoting relaxation and mindfulness. It teaches kids to focus on their breath and stay present in the moment.
- Kids Yoga improves focus and concentration: Balancing postures are one of the best ways to increase focus in children and adults. When we balance we call on our ‘rest and restore’ parasympathetic nervous system and ground ourselves in the moment. This practice can be helpful for kids who struggle with attention issues. By practising yoga, kids can develop better focus and concentration.
- Kids Yoga promotes self-esteem and confidence: Yoga is a non-competitive practice that encourages self-awareness and self-acceptance. By practising yoga, kids can develop a sense of self-esteem and confidence, which can be helpful in building positive relationships with others.
- Kids Yoga teaches mindfulness and compassion: Yoga is a practice that emphasizes mindfulness and compassion towards oneself and others. By practising yoga, kids can learn to be more mindful of their thoughts and actions, and develop compassion and empathy towards others.
- Kids Yoga provides a safe and non-judgmental space: Yoga classes provide a safe and non-judgmental space where kids can explore their bodies and emotions without fear of criticism or judgement. This can be especially beneficial for kids who may be struggling with self-esteem issues or face challenges around bullying or isolation in school.
- Kids Yoga fosters creativity and imagination: Yoga can be a fun and creative practice that encourages kids to use their imaginations. By practising yoga, kids can explore different postures and movements and express themselves in new and creative ways.
Well Yoga is offering a summer 2023 Kids Yoga Series starting this July. This is a great introduction to a regular yoga practice for kids that offers many benefits for physical, mental, and emotional health. Email email@example.com for details or join our facebook group to stay up to date.
Registration opening this week!